Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth: Effective Practice Strategies and Trauma Assessment
DATE: Saturday, November 18th, 2023
TIME: 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. EST // 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. CT // 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. PT // 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. MT
PLATFORM: Via Zoom Webinar
- Live & Interactive Webinar
- Presentation Slides PDF Included
- Provides for General Skill Building/Trauma/Evidence-Based Treatment/LGBTQ/Clinical
Trauma-informed knowledge, skills, and resources are necessary to capture a full picture of what an LGBTQ youth might be experiencing. This workshop will provide recommendations for enhancing mental health in LGBTQ+ youth. It will also introduce learners to the principles of trauma-informed care and the realities of trauma within this community. Affirming tools for clinicians to assess trauma experiences in youth will be shared and clinical recommendations for effective and sensitive practice will be presented. The AFFIRM CBT Model will be introduced and reviewed. Learners will engage in more trauma-informed practices with LGBTQ and gender-expansive youth and feel more confident in supporting this community.
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify common mental health problems experienced by LGBTQ+ youth.
- Explain methods and practices of supporting the mental health of LGBTQ+ youth.
- Outline trauma-informed care principles applied to LGBTQ and gender-expansive youth trauma assessment.
- Employ clinical assessment approaches to incorporate the Screening for the Intersection of Trauma with Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SO/GI) assessment tool with youth and caregivers.